Monday, November 3, 2008

Boot Menu Art

I think the best way to handle this is for anyone interested to submit a proposal via e-mail to me about the boot menu. Then, I can put up the pictures on the blog for people to comment and have an opinion about. We can then figure out which one to use or maybe some combination of proposals or in any case, figure it out in a collaborative community style process.

I don't really have an opinion on what the logo should look like, whether it should be cartoony or not. I only think it should look good. =P

There are very few technical constraints on the boot menu. I'm willing to figure out whatever technical solution there needs be in order to get things to display properly. One thing to keep in mind is that space on the NOR is at a significant premium, and raw pixel data is expensive but procedurally generated stuff like gradients are possible. The only two current menu options are the iPhone OS and the openiboot console, but eventually a Linux option will be added. I can try animation as well, but again, you'd have to have an idea of how it can be done without using up a lot of NOR space.

But yeah, make us pretty!

Some progress on the NAND: Thanks to a huge amount of initial grunt work by CPICH, the NAND project is off the ground. We already have enough to get the proper drive geometries, and I've written and tested the DMA routines that are near the heart of the problem today. Hopefully, we can dump the raw NAND soon and take a peek at what kind of wear leveling data structures we're dealing with.